FAQ: Is A Permanent Resident Card with a USCIS-Issued Sticker A Valid List A Document?

I-9 compliance can be confusing, and it is important to know what types of documents you can accept to avoid mistakes and discrimination. Common questions from I-9 Administrators revolve around permanent resident cards.

Can I accept a green card with a sticker on the back of it?

Yes! Permanent Resident Cards are valid List A documents that give an individuals the indefinite right to live and work in the U.S. When a permanent resident is waiting for a renewal of the card, USCIS may issue a sticker on the back of the permanent resident card noting automatic extension of the validity of the document.

Do I need to reverify this individual’s work authorization when it expires?

No. Employers should not reverify employment authorization of anyone presenting a green card or an extended green card with a sticker on the back.

Training on this and related I-9 issues can be found at the Corporate Immigration Compliance Institute.

Danielle Atchison

Business Immigration Attorney



NOT LEGAL ADVICE: This article is for educational purposes only, it is not legal advice that may be applicable to our situation

The information provided here does not constitute legal advice. It is general information regarding law and policy that may be applicable to your particular HR issue or legal problem. Information provided in this blog, or any of our other public posts, does not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice you can rely upon, please contact your attorney.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

© 2019 by Corporate Immigration Compliance Institute, LLC

Corporate Immigration Compliance Institute does not provide legal advice or engage in the practice of law. The information provided during training and included in the training materials is general information on the topics covered; it not intended to be a fully comprehensive analysis of the subjects addressed. If you have questions about specific applicability of laws, rules and regulations to your specific situation, or other questions of a legal nature, those questions should be directed to your legal counsel.

Overland Park, KS 66211

United States